Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Howard The Basset Hound


Since so many of my readers enjoyed reading about my son John's beagle Lucy I thought I would introduce you to my little "brother" Howard the basset hound. Howard is now five years old and he is quite the dog. My mom and dad bought him from a breeder when he was 6 weeks old and took him home. This is the third basset hound that mom has had, she really likes the breed. Myself I prefer the sporting breeds like beagles and Labrador retrievers.
Howard was a real cutie as a puppy, all feet and long ears he would trip over! As is the case with most basset hounds he was difficult to train, the breed is noted for being stubborn. My mom fussed over Howard and pampered him, dad pretended that Howard bugged him but he really enjoyed having a little buddy to sit in his lap. When Howard was around 9 months old my dad became very ill and was hospitalized. Shortly thereafter dad passed away and Howard was left without a daddy. We celebrated Howard's first birthday (complete with doggie ice cream) about a month after dad passed away.

Howard is a real handful, he jumps on mom and sometimes pushes her, she is a very petite lady and Howard is a very big boy. But he has been a real comfort to mom and a faithful companion, he gets jealous if anyone comes around to take his mommy's attention away from him. I nicknamed Howard "Mudgie" which is a shortened version of curmudgeon because he can be a grump sometimes, the nickname stuck and the family refers to him alternately as Howard and Mudgie.

Howard likes the simple things in life, Iams biscuits (only the ones in the green box thank you), ground turkey, taking very long naps, and shaking his ears. His ears are so long and heavy that when he shakes his head it sounds like an airplane propeller starting up. Oh and the slobbering, basset hounds slobber A LOT. And Howard is no exception, he particularly likes to slobber and shake his head so that the slobber flies around and lands on you.

Even though he is stubborn and very messy mom loves him. And I love him because he loves mom and keeps her company.

7 comments:

  1. Awww he's cute! I love that his ears sound like airplane propellers! What a great tribute to your mom's bestie! I surprised my parents one year with a new dog. They came home from a trip to Italy and there was Chapo waiting for them. I had read in an article that animals, specifically dogs, can help reduce heart disease. Since my dad has had bypass surgery and congestive heart failure for years, that was my reasoning behind getting Chapo. My dad did the same thing your dad did at first...now, they are best friends! Thanks for sharing this story Miss Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your dad is doing well, Congestive Heart Failure is what took my dad from us. He was 81 years old and his body couldn't fight anymore but Howard has been great for mom since dad left us!

      Delete
  2. I can not believe it! You have a basset hound, too! I too have a basset hound named biggles! He is my faithful friend, and he is set in his ways and does the same thing everyday! I just love him! I am disabled, but I can still walk around, and my dog Biggles does everything with me! He is such a good dog. I loved reading the story about Howard-he is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I can't believe you have a basset hound too :) You'll have to share a picture of Biggles sometime, I'll show it to my mom and Howard!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Although I do not want a pet, I enjoy meeting or reading about others' loves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Bassett Hounds! We used to have one named Hunter. He was a little trouble maker. Anytime anyone had alcohol he would try and get in the drink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howard is a cutie-patootie!!! I want a Basset so badly. Actually, I want two of them. Name them Hatfield and McCoy. hehehe

    Nicole @ Three 31
    http://nicoleandkevin.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE HEARING FROM MY FANS!