Photo Credit: 50states.com
Alaska State Flag
Interesting facts about our 49th state:
1. Alaska is the largest state in the United States and also has the lowest population density.
2. Alaska means great lands or peninsula in the Eskimo language.
3. Alaska was purchased by Secretary of State William H. Seward for two cents an acre ($7,200,000) in 1867. The purchase was referred to as Seward's Folly by many at the time.
4. The Alaska Legislature adopted dog mushing as the official state sport in 1972.
5. Former Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin was Alaska's first female governor.