Thursday, May 24, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

An American cemetery in Impruneta, Italy where US soldiers who died in battle during World War II rest. Photo Credit:  Atlantide Travelphoto/Corbis

As the Memorial Day weekend approaches I wanted to remind my readers that Memorial Day is not just the start of the summer season or another three day weekend. Memorial Day started after the Civil War when women would decorate the graves of fallen soldiers. The holiday eventually gained popularity and is officially a day to remember those who have died in service to our country. I have the utmost respect for all veterans, living and dead. I find it particularly disturbing that some religious groups are disrespectful to our veterans, they seem to forget that if it were not for American soldiers fighting and dying they would not have the religious freedoms they enj



            C) 2003 SKG Music Nashville LLC/Dreamworks Records Nashville

As we approach the start of Memorial Day weekend please pause to remember our veterans who have served our country. I would like to remember my own family  members who have served our country:

Charles Joseph Smith Sr. US Army World War I

Theron Oscar Shumaker US Army World War II and Korea

Joseph Theron Shoemaker US Army World War II

Jeffery Martin Griebel  US Navy (Retired)  Persian Gulf

April Fasenmyer US Air Force (Active) Iraq and Afghanistan

Dalton Nash Griebel US Air Force (Active)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE HEARING FROM MY FANS!